TKO is happy to offer a learning opportunity to volunteers and professionals seeking training in trail construction/maintenance, leadership and project management topics.
TKO Scout School: Advanced Scouting Lab is geared towards people interested in learning how best to identify trail problems and propose solutions that volunteer leaders and/or agency professionals can use to make project proposals for consideration by land managers.
This 1-day training event is open to folks who are:
- Volunteers who are eager to build project scouting skills and/or;
- Current TKO assistant crew leaders 1.) growing their skill set and/or 2.) seeking to move from ACL into a full Crew Leader role and/or;
- Staff and partners who are interested in trail project planning and management techniques – ticket cost $35 (if cost is a barrier in any way, possible scholarships are available – please email email@example.com).
CREW LEADER: STEVE K.
HIKE DISTANCE: UP TO 2 MILES ROUNDTRIP
ELEVATION GAIN: UP TO 200′
HIKE DIFFICULTY: EASY
WORK DIFFICULTY: EASY
WORK DESCRIPTION: ADVANCED SCOUTING LAB TRAINING
This training day features activities and themes around:
- TKO’s methodology around identifying trail problems, collecting data in the field and building a succinct project proposal.
- TKO’s culture of safety, inclusiveness and quality of stewardship for the volunteer experience and the trails we tend to.
- How we build and maintain relationships with other stewardship partners
- In depth coverage of the project planning process
- How to facilitate and steward the volunteer experience
- Crew Leader commitments
What to bring:
- Sturdy boots – please bring sturdy boots that will protect your toes from sharp tools. For safety reasons, we cannot allow tennis shoes, sandals etc. during the trail work sessions
- Long sleeved shirt and work pants – wear what you won’t mind getting dirty in
- Rain gear and warm layers – it is December in the Gorge, please come prepared for all weather 🙂
- Work gloves – we will have loaner pairs available
- Water bottle – 2L minimum highly recommended
- A sack lunch and trail snacks
- Daypack – for carrying all of the above
This class is designed to be an on-trail, experience based training. Please come prepared to participate in thoughtful and challenging discussions, learn new project planning skills, and, of course, do some trail problem solving!