Help improve the West side of the popular Misery Ridge trail at Smith Rock State Park
The West side of the Misery Ridge trail switchbacks down a steep slope. Years of heavy use have heavily eroded the trail. We will be filling in some of the worst spots and building rock water bars to help reduce future damage.
We will hike from the main park down to the river and about 2 miles down the River Trail. The trail is moderate with the main elevation change from the parking lot to the river level.
What to expect:
You should expect to participate in this work party for its entirety. For safety reasons, please do not arrive late or expect to be able to leave early.
We will be working on well-established trail surfaces and on steep off-trail slopes. This is not a good event if you are frightened of heights but there are tasks where you can stay on the trail. We will be working with trail tools: shovels, pull straps, and moving rocks. You will work with an experienced crew leader. No experience is necessary, training is provided.
What to bring:
• Plenty of water
• Personal hygiene kit – must include a face mask/covering and work gloves (loaner gloves available if you do not have your own)
What to wear:
• Boots (Please wear something sturdy that will protect your toes from sharp tools and rocks. No tennis shoes allowed!)
• Work gloves (loaner gloves available)
• Long-sleeved shirts and pants
• Rain gear as appropriate for the weather
• TKO will supply hard hats and safety glasses
The work will be at Smith Rock State Park in Terrebonne (5 miles North of Redmond, 15 miles North of Bend Oregon) https://stateparks.oregon.gov/index.cfm?do=park.profile&parkId=36 We will be parking in the main lot which requires a state park pass.
Directions to the meeting area and additional information on the work will be sent out to registrants shortly before the event date.